Sunday, May 1, 2016

Potential 40K List 2 - Iron Hands

...can't...stop...posting!

So this was a pretty simple list to whip up as well.  In the last few weeks I've seen it posted by The Long War guys among other people.  To be honest, the idea is simple.  Create a death star unit from a Bike squad that doesn't need Psyker powers but becomes *THAT MUCH BETTER* when they are utilized.  I keep going back and forth on the details but want a few other options in the list as needed.  Most use 4 total Librarians from the Conclave but I go with a minimum squad of 3.

So per the previous post, this is for BeakyCon.  1650 points, no Gargantuan Monstrous Creatures, no Superheavy Vehicles, and ITC rules.

Fist of Medusa Strike Force
Core - Battle Demi-Company
HQ - Chapter Master (Lightning Claw, Power Fist, Artificer Armor, Bike, The Gorgon's Chain) - 255 points
Elite - Command Squad (Bikes, Apothecary, 3x SS, 3x Power Fists) - 245 points
Troop - Tactical Squad x5 - 70 points
Troop - Tactical Squad x5 - 70 points
Troop - Tactical Squad x5 - 70 points
Fast Attack - Bike Squad x3 (Grav Gun, Combi-Grav Gun) - 103 points
Heavy Support - Devastator Squad x5 - 70 points

Command - Librarius Conclave
HQ - Librarian (ML2, Bike, Force Axe) - 110 points
HQ - Librarian (ML2, Bike, Force Axe) - 110 points
HQ - Librarian (ML1, Force Sword) - 65 points

Auxiliary - 10th Company Task Force
Troop - Scout Squad x5 - 55 points
Troop - Scout Squad x5 - 55 points
Troop - Scout Squad x5 - 55 points

Allies - Assassinorum
Elite - Culexus Assassin - 140 points

Allies - Space Marines (White Scars)
HQ - Librarian (ML1, Bike) - 85 points
Troop - Scout Squad x5 - 55 points
Fast Attack - Drop Pod - 35 points

Pretty straight forward.  My original list only used a Captain instead of a Chapter Master however the benefits to the Chapter Master are hard to overlook.  Especially given the way the Gorgon's Chain works with wounds.  Just naturally the Chapter Master would have a 2+ FNP (5+ Base from Apothecary, +1 from Gorgon's Chain, +1 from Iron Hands Chapter Tactics, +1 for having an Iron Hands IC within 12").  The entire squad would have a 3+ FNP.  I allied in White Scars for Hit and Run and Skilled Rider.  It was a toss up between a Tech Marine and a Librarian but for now the benefit of another Warp Charge is too good to pass up.

2 of the Librarians would join the Command Squad with the sole White Scars Librarian.  The remaining Librarian would most likely join one of the Tactical Squads or perhaps the Devastators.  Nothing fancy.  I could deploy him close for a 2+ harnessing of Warp Charges as well if I so desired.

Having a total of 4 Scout Squads would give me deployment versatility in the later game.  I'd most likely hold everything in reserve if at all possible.  I opted to go with a Grav Biker squad as I have the models built but also to give me the option to put the hurt on another high armor save unit as needed.  It is either that or buy a few Rhinos or weaponry for the Tactical Squads.  In the games I have seen, that is not the best way to utilize the Tactical Squads if they have no Rhino.

I did opt to bring a Culexus in this list to help me deal with other Psykers.  If I can shut down an opponent's Psykers but give mine a chance to flourish, I'm that much ahead of the game.  I could also opt to simply have my Culexus knuckle up with an opponent's Culexus.

Pros:
Extremely hard to take out the Deathstar without full D or Stomps.  Librarius will give me opportunities to cast very useful powers.  Even without Angels of Death, Misfortune?  Divination Powers?  Psychic Scream?  Too good.

Cons:
The strategy is very static.  It still takes a great general to play well but it won't win you any sportsmanship awards.  I could see games being very boring but I'd have to playtest it to figure it out.  In a tournament with 32 players, it wouldn't surprise me to see at least 3-4 of this type of list minimum.  There isn't any good source of anti-air but I feel you might not need it as the flyers need to hover to claim objectives...and then they are open to getting assaulted.

Decisions, decisions!

*Edit - Well, evidently I didn't realize that there is a rule that seems to cancel out Chapter Tactics when multiple guys are in the same squad?  I need to investigate it a bit more because otherwise I need to find another source of Hit and Run. Of course the one choice that always pops up are Sisters of Battle and St. Celestine.  I would lose the Culexus Assassin's Drop Pod, but probably push on points costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment