Sunday, October 15, 2017

Crucible 6.5 - Kings of War Doubles Tournament

Whoa boy, Crucible 6.5 has come and gone and I have to say that I had a blast just as expected.  I really think that staying on-site really did help a ton as it let me focus on the games and just having fun instead of having to drive back and forth.  It also afforded me the opportunity to partake in delicious beer without worrying about having to drive anywhere.

I had the opportunity to participate in the Kings of War Doubles tournament on Friday with my buddy John from Titusville.  He took his Brotherhood list and I took my Herd army.  Combined we were team Brotherherd!


We ended up playing 3 games throughout the day and had a blast.  I definitely got a chance to better see what some other armies offer and how to better play my list.  Here is the 1000 point list I took:

Regiment - Tribal Longhorns (Brew of Haste)
Horde - Guardian Brutes (Blessing of the Gods)
Troop - Beast Pack*
Troop - Beast Pack*
Horde - Stampede* (Brew of Sharpness)
Hero - Shaman (Heal 5, Banner of the Griffin)



The Herd - 1000 points

 

Tribal Longhorns

 

Guardian Brutes

 

Stampede

I actually finished up my Shaman and the Regiment of Longhorns before the event.  Other than adding some flock to the bases, my stuff was done in advance of the tournament.  But hey, that means I finished painting a unit for Kings of War.  October hobby goal check!

I don't pretend that these guys are painted super well but they look good enough on the tabletop.  I was mostly pleased with them.

Game 1 - Jamie and Rocky


In game 1 we faced off against Jamie and Rocky with their Kingdoms of Men and Undead unholy alliance.  I forget the name of the scenarios but this one was the one where we had to have the most number of units on the opponent's half of the table at the end of the game.

My Herd swept across the right side of the board and met Rocky's hordes of undead.  I got lucky on some key nerve checks and by the end I had routed all of Rocky's army save for the necromancer.  John on the other side held Jamie mostly in check and executed some brilliant flank maneuvers on Jamie's cavalry that allowed us to reform and set up other potential late game charges (which were unnecessary).

So in the end we won.  1-0 baby!

Game 2 - Jacob and Chris

Unfortunately I guess I missed on taking a picture of this matchup.  Jacob and Chris were playing Abyssals and Goblins.  Their list was very well tuned and their generalship showed in the game.  The objective was to get to the three objective markers on the center of the table and take them to your board edge.  In the end, the speed and fury of their army proved too much and instead of focusing on one flank and the center, John and I spread out too thin and never had enough hitting power to break enough units.  The Stampede and John's Knights did an admirable job but not enough.  We lost this game but had a blast.  I finally found out how truly deadly flyers and shamblers can be in the right position.  1-1 but still having fun!

Game 3 - Bruce and Cody


Game 3 was against Bruce's Roman Legions (pictured) and Cody's Ogres.  By this point we were just playing for 2nd and 3rd place and just let it rip.  With plenty of pathfinder and all the trees in the middle, I thought I would have an easy chance making charges and breaking the center.  Sadly Romans have *OUTSTANDING* nerve values and I did roll poorly.  We duked it out back and forth (the scenario was to have the most number of units within 9" of the center).  In the end though, Bruce and Cody were able to clean up everything but one or two units but they had the center.

So at the end of the day we were 1-2 but it felt as if with a bit of luck we could've just as easily been 3-0 or even 2-0-1.  I had a blast and this definitely got me wanting to work on my KoW army a bit more.



Spoils of War!

We ended up getting the Counter Charger award because we finished strictly in the middle of the pack for the day.  I have to admit that I do not know about the Counter Charge podcast but am really looking forward to tuning in after hearing great things about him.

I did play more games during Crucible, namely in the Narrative event for Warhammer 40K.  But that is for another post...

Army Display

Here are a few of the other armies I saw.  I thought I had taken more pictures but for now, here you go!


Jamie's German Themed Kingdoms of Men Army


Cody's Dwarf Army

No comments:

Post a Comment