Thursday, June 2, 2016

Evolving the List

Hey everybody!  So as I alluded to in my other posts, my mind is always churning with potential tweaks and changes to my list.  I still think Iron Hands are the way to go.  For reference, here is my current list:

Fist of Medusa Strike Force
Core - Battle Demi-Company
HQ - Captain (Lightning Claw, Power Fist, Artificer Armor, Bike, The Gorgon's Chain) - 215 points
Elite - Command Squad (Bikes, Apothecary w/ SS, 2x SS, 2x Power Fists, Meltabomb) - 225 points
Troop - Tactical Squad x5 (Lascannon) - 90 points
Troop - Tactical Squad x5 (Lascannon) - 90 points
Troop - Tactical Squad x5 (Flamer) - 75 points
Fast Attack - Bike Squad x3 (Grav Gun, Combi-Grav Gun) - 103 points
Heavy Support - Devastator Squad x5 (3x Missile Launchers) - 115 points

Command - Librarius Conclave
HQ - Librarian (ML2, Bike, Force Axe) - 110 points
HQ - Librarian (ML2, Bike, Force Sword) - 110 points
HQ - Librarian (ML2, Bike, Force Sword) - 110 points

Auxiliary - 10th Company Task Force
Troop - Scout Squad x5 (5x Sniper, Camo Cloaks) - 70 points
Troop - Scout Squad x5 (5x Sniper, Camo Cloaks) - 70 points
Troop - Scout Squad x5 (4x Bolters, Heavy Bolter) - 63 points

Allies - Assassinorum
Elite - Culexus Assassin - 140 points

Allies - Inquisition
HQ -Inquisitor (ML1 Psyker, Force Sword, 3x Servo Skulls) - 64 points

The main tweak I've begun to consider after playing my games is perhaps removing the Inquisitor and the 10th Company Task Force in favor of the Anti-Air Defence Force (1x Hunter Tank and 2x Stalker Tanks).  It would give me a much needed AA-infusion and would also let me potentially free up points so that I take a Tech Marine that I can place in my backfield.  He would be able to make repair rolls semi-readily on my tanks and would still provide my Devastator Squad with some defensive help (+1 FNP).

However more than that, I've noticed that the list in general suffers from other weaknesses.  My Command Squad does well in CC but I almost feel it needs another threat to be truly powerful.  LaMonte (one of my buddies) very astutely pointed out that the three bikes are relatively easy to neutralize once my opponent realizes it is my only other effective method of consistent damage.  I also feel I'm dumping too many points on contingencies rather than trying to create a truly offensive plan.  The Lascannons and Missile Launchers are great...but normally take pot shots in most situations.  I can see the benefit to perhaps using them against Battle Company lists...but the success there is far from assured.  So I took a step back and re-evaluated the list.  I've changed it up (yet again).  This is the direction I'm thinking of taking it:

Fist of Medusa Strike Force
Core - Battle Demi-Company
HQ - Captain (Lightning Claw, Power Fist, Artificer Armor, Bike, The Gorgon's Chain) - 215 points
Elite - Command Squad (Bikes, Apothecary w/ SS, 2x SS, 2x Power Fists) - 220 points
Troop - Tactical Squad x5 (Chainsword/Pistol on Sergeant) - 70 points
Troop - Tactical Squad x5 (Chainsword/Pistol on Sergeant) - 70 points
Troop - Tactical Squad x5 (Chainsword/Pistol on Sergeant) - 70 points
Fast Attack - Attack Bike (Heavy Bolter) - 40 points
Heavy Support - Centurion Devastator Squad x3 (3x Grav Cannons w/ Amps) - 240 points

Command - Librarius Conclave
HQ - Librarian (ML2, Bike, Force Axe) - 110 points
HQ - Librarian (ML2, Force Axe) - 90 points
HQ - Librarian (ML2, Terminator Armor, Force Axe, Storm Shield) - 125 points

Auxiliary - Honored Ancients
Elite - Dreadnought (Dreadnought Powerfist, Storm Bolter, Multi-Melta) - 100 points

Allies - Blood Angels
HQ - Sanguinary Priest (Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Auspex) - 66 points
Troop - Scout Squad x5 (CCW/Bolt Pistol) - 55 points

Allies - Inquisition
HQ - Inquisitor Coteaz (ML2, Daemon Hammer, Psyber-Eagle, Artificer Armor) - 100 points
HQ - Inquisitor (ML1 Psyker, Force Sword, 3x Servo Skulls, Psychotroke Grenades) - 79 points

Overall I go to 9 Warp Charges.  So the general idea of the list is simple.  My Command Squad stays mostly intact...but only retains a single Librarian on a Bike.  I create another squad capable of bringing the pain in the Centurion Devastators.  I would join two Librarians to the squad along with both the Inquisitors and the Sanguinary Priest (giving me 3+ FNP for the Iron Hands).  I'd still be able to cast buffs with my Inquisitors after going after something large with my Conclave.  However I am not sold on having only 2 Librarians in one squad.

Originally I had two Librarians on Bikes for the Command Squad and two Librarians on foot to join the Centurion Devastator Squad.  The Centurions need an Invulnerable save in the worst kind of way but they aren't completely hosed.  Having a 3+ FNP goes a long way but there are ways to negate it.  I found that introducing Coteaz gives me a form of Deep Strike protection...though the better players will simply Deep Strike at a distance and still get within range of grav weaponry.

I clearly lose out on the Culexus Assassin...but honestly at this point I'm thinking that will be for the best.  All my Tactical Squads become glorified Objective grabbers, running from place to place while attempting to hide.  The Honored Ancients part of the detachment lets me save some points and simply take a Dreadnought (that I expect to get wrecked but could help bully something in the late game).  Plus the Blood Angels Scout Squad, while less effective than other Astartes Scouts, still lets me infiltrate and even get a late game charge off with enough attacks to make a mess of something.

I don't really have an answer to flyers but this lets me further try to utilize the Psychic Phase.  Anybody have thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment